Nantucket Travel Tips
- How do you get to Nantucket?
Located roughly thirty miles off the coast of Massachusetts, Nantucket is accessible by air and sea. Several major cities, including New York, Boston, and Washington DC, offer seasonal air travel to the island.
Year-round ferry service from Hyannis to Nantucket is provided by HyLine cruises and the steamship authority. Seasonal ferry service from New York, New Bedford, and New Jersey is also offered via Seastreak Ferry.
- What kinds of activities are popular on Nantucket?
Nantucket offers a little something for everyone. Experience the dining and shopping scene of Nantucket town, with unique shops and galleries and world-class restaurants.
Anglers and boaters will enjoy unforgettable fishing and boating experiences in the waters off Nantucket. There are numerous charter boats available for both sport-fishing and leisure cruises.
Explore Nantucket's rich history as an early American whaling town with visits to the Nantucket Whaling Museum, among other notable historic sites.
For families traveling with children, Nantucket offers camps and classes, and White Elephant offers scavenger hunts among other activities and amenities to keep young guests entertained.
- Does White Elephant have a pool? Yes, we offer access to our pool and cabana area, which is exclusively for White Elephant guests. The pool is heated and open seasonally from late May to September.
- Is there a fitness center at White Elephant? White Elephant offers two fitness centers to our guests. One is located at the Inn, the other at the Harborside Hotel. Both are accessible by guest room key 24 hours a day. Additionally, we provide complimentary bicycles for guest use and are always happy to recommend popular jogging and walking routes around Nantucket Island.
- What is the best time of year to visit White Elephant?
White Elephant is open from April through the end of October, reopening for Thanksgiving through the first weekend in December.
Summer beach vacations to Nantucket are popular among travelers from around the world, making this the busiest season on the island. The spring and fall months are generally quieter times of the year, though most shops, restaurants, and attractions are open for business.
- How do I get around on Nantucket from White Elephant? Located approximately five minutes walking distance from the center of Nantucket town, White Elephant is conveniently situated for exploring the island by foot or bicycle. The island of Nantucket offers a seasonal public transit system, car rentals, and taxi services and several bicycle rental shops. With many options for transportation on the island, traveling with a vehicle is not necessary, however for guests who do choose to ship their car to Nantucket, the hotel does offer vehicle parking.
- Does white elephant provide transfer service to and from ferry terminals and the airport? White Elephant provides complimentary shuttle service to and from the high-speed ferry docks at both the HyLine terminal and Steam Ship Authority. We are not permitted to operate transfer services to and from the airport per town ordinance.
- Are there dining options at White Elephant? White Elephant is home to Brant Point Grill, which offers fresh local cuisine and picturesque views of Nantucket harbor. Seasonally, we also offer casual and convenient poolside dining. Additionally, our sister hotels offer exceptional dining experiences at TOPPER'S at The Wauwinet and at Nantucket Prime, located at Jared Coffin House. White Elephant offers complimentary coffee and pastries each morning and complimentary port and cheese are served to guests each afternoon. Room service is available.
- Is White Elephant hotel close to popular beaches on Nantucket? White Elephant is located directly next to Children's Beach, and approximately one mile from Jetties Beach. Nantucket's many beaches are all accessible by bike path, public transit and taxi service to the beach is also available.
- I would like to ship something in advance of my stay. How can I do that?
If you would like to ship items in advance of your stay, we recommend the following guidelines:
- Recommended carriers: UPS and FedEx
- For guests staying at the Residences and Inn:
White Elephant19 North Water Street
Nantucket, MA 02554
- Four guests staying at the Harborside Hotel, Garden Cottages, or Lofts:
Nantucket, MA 02554